Faqiro Solanki: Who is the work of the Sindhi artist who is being praised during the controversy over the statue of Allama Iqbal?

 

Faqiro Solanki: Who is the work of the Sindhi artist who is being praised during the controversy over the statue of Allama Iqbal?

Following a controversy over a statue of Allama Iqbal in a park in Lahore, Pakistan, photos of Sindh artist Faqir Solanki's works began to be shared on social networking sites, which were not only appreciated but also questioned. Why are these anonymous artists not accepted?

Speaking to the BBC, Faqiro Solanki said that those who love and share his work are grateful to him if he writes even two words, it is all the result of his love.

There are more fans with selfies

Faqiro Solanki says the reception he deserves as an artist is not very encouraging.

"The way we look at other countries on the internet, there's less enthusiasm. Probably a factor as to why they're doing so poorly. There are big museums, there are galleries, there are not only working people but also working people, and there are people who love and understand art. That trend is very rare here.

For 75% of the general population, art is entertainment, Faqiro said.

"These are people taking selfies. Of the remaining 25 per cent, only 10 per cent are people who understand and promote the work.

Faqiro said that he has been welcomed by the government of Pakistan and was also awarded the Medal of Distinction last year.

An artist family

An artist family

Speaking to the BBC, Faqiro said his ancestors were from the Indian village of Saruna Gam who used to come to Sindh for work.

"After the partition, our family moved here permanently. First we stayed in Shadi Pali and then we came to Tando Allahyar where I was born.

Faqiro said he belonged to the Kanthia tribe of the Menghwar community.

"My grandfather and father were masons. They built houses and small temples and also made idols for these temples. Grandpa passed his art on to his son Ketchmand and I inherited the job. Only three of us eight brothers continued this work and I started my work inspired by my elder brother Man Singh.

The roadmap became my teacher

The roadmap became my teacher

As a child, he says, he was quiet and used to make toys out of clay.

After that he won drawing competitions in school and then studied till Inter.

"I used to collect paper along the way. If they saw the work of an artist from Europe, they would keep it. This roadmap became my teacher. I have a pile of papers around one man. Even today, I don't think it's wrong to pick up paper on the way, he is my teacher.

Faqiro said he wanted to teach art at NCA Lahore, a well-known educational institution in Pakistan, but was unable to do so due to an accident.

My two older and one younger brothers were involved in a road accident on their way back from work and remained under treatment for four years. Because of this, my livelihood was cut off and I had to work hard for my livelihood and I could not go to NCA.
The roadmap became my teacher

Statues of gods and goddesses

In his hometown of Tando Allahyar, he was given the task of making a statue of Hanuman in the temple of Rama Pir, and this has continued ever since.

He said that the idols he makes for temples are made by him.

Obviously, God or Goddess, the deity would not have done the photography. This is an idea of ​​yours. The hands of God are the ones who pray. They are up. I had to study palmistry to make his lines, after which I understood what the lines in the hands of a good man should look like.
Statues of gods and goddesses

Faqiro says that after learning the lines of the hand, he studied facial recognition to know what a person is like if the eyes are like that and what are the strengths and weaknesses of a person if the face has certain characteristics.

"After that I went to the tailor for the style of clothes. Went to the goldsmith for jewelry, also learned how to work as a barber for sculptural hair. I went to the bodybuilding arena to understand the rise of the body.

He explains that he does everything with his own hands, from molding the statue to assembling it.

They don't use products from the market to make their own art and make everything from clothes to jewelry in their studio.

Student of Michelangelo and Caroline Burnett


Speaking to the BBC, he said that he had found two books by well-known painter and sculptor Michelangelo and Caroline Burnett, which made him understand a lot.
Student of Michelangelo and Caroline Burnett

After that I gradually started getting other books as well. This was followed by the internet, social media and YouTube, which helped other artists to see and learn from their work.

He could not go to NCA College Lahore but contacted them and also contacted the art departments in the universities of Islamabad, Quetta and Karachi.

In order to improve his art and to understand the feelings of the people and to get to know their faces, he met the prisoners and went to the shrines.

"I met people who had failed in love or were in exile. This journey is not over yet, it is going on. I try not to leave any shortcomings.

Be your own teacher

Be your own teacher

He claims to have made 340 statues to date, including statues of temples and churches.

"I am my own teacher and my job is my teacher. I don't understand when I work on the first day. The next day, the work itself explains to me what my mistakes are.

Faqiro said his father used to make sculptures out of cement because houses were made of cement.

After that he started working with Plaster of Paris. He has also worked in fiberglass.

The main reason for working in fiberglass is that it weighs less and mixes and matches well. That's why 90% of the work is done in fiberglass. Then I also worked in clay, wood and stone. I also work in paintings, pencil work, oil paint and water color.

Want a studio

Want a studio



No comments:

Powered by Blogger.