How important is breastfeeding for maternal health?

 

How important is breastfeeding for maternal health?

"Sometimes I feel like I'm completely empty inside. My baby cries and screams with hunger, but I don't have enough milk to fill my stomach."

This is to say of Rabia Fahad who became a mother four months ago and is now constantly struggling to breastfeed her baby.

"Sometimes I get up and entertain her and sometimes I try to silence her, sometimes I try to breastfeed her from one side and sometimes from the other," she says. But in the meanwhile he gets tired so I have to give canned milk. My milk was not enough to fill my stomach.

Dr. Shabina Arif is attached to Aga Khan Hospital Karachi. She says that 98% of mothers lose their milk after childbirth, but 2% of mothers have a problem in this regard, either their milk does not come out at all or the quantity is very low.

Breast milk is very useful for the mother herself

Breast milk is very useful for the mother herself
Breast milk is important for the baby's health, but if the mother is unable to breastfeed the baby, or is unable to do so properly, her own health may be affected.

From the time of conception to the birth of a child, the mother goes through a process in which she experiences severe mental and physical distress. The biggest challenge for a baby after birth is breastfeeding, and sometimes this process can be difficult for the mother due to lack of proper guidance.

When Qaratul Ain was about to become a mother for the first time, she thought that she would breastfeed her baby.

How important is breastfeeding for maternal health?

"Before she came into the world, I was fully prepared with the rest of the preparations that I had to give her my own milk because I knew the benefits of breast milk for the baby," she says.

"It's a difficult task to figure out after birth," she says. I don't know the right way. How to put the baby to the breast and in what position to put the mother's breast in the mouth properly.

I used to feed on one side of the breast most of the time and breastfeed from the side where she slept. A few days later I started having chest pains and fever. I had no idea what to do and what it was all about. When I went to the doctor for this problem, I found out that I have breast engagement. And it happens when you breastfeed on one side and the milk starts to accumulate on the other side.

I used to feed on one side of the breast most of the time and breastfeed from the side where she slept. A few days later I started having chest pains and fever. I had no idea what to do and what it was all about. When I went to the doctor for this problem, I found out that I have breast engagement. And it happens when you breastfeed on one side and the milk starts to accumulate on the other side.

Qarat al-Ain: "I had to give her my own milk because I knew the benefits of breast milk for the baby."

Dr. Shabina Arif says that if a mother is unable to breastfeed her child, it affects the health of the child as well as the health of the mother.

"Milk starts to clot in the mother's breast and sores form. Some mothers get mastitis due to lack of proper guidance. This causes swelling in the breasts, which is very painful for mothers.

Dr. Shabina Arif says that with proper guidance these problems can be dealt with and this guidance needs to be given to the mother when she comes to the doctor during maternity. They should then be told how to hold the baby and how to breastfeed.

"If the proper method is not known, the mother is in pain, after which she stops breastfeeding," he said. This not only affects the health of the baby but also causes problems for the mother.

Dr. Shabina says that mothers who are breastfed stay away from dangerous diseases like breast cancer and ovarian cancer. According to a study, breastfeeding protects 20,000 mothers worldwide from breast cancer.

Mothers gain weight during pregnancy, which is difficult to lose later. But breastfeeding leads to weight loss. Breastfeeding mothers also have a lower risk of diabetes.

Breast milk and misunderstandings

Breast milk and misunderstandings
Dr. Shabina Arif: "Mothers who breastfeed have a lower risk of diabetes."

Rabia says, “When you become a mother for the first time, you are also given a lot of miss guides. Like I was told to get the baby used to other milk, which is why I started giving him canned milk at night. '

Dr. Mahrukh Chaudhry is a lecturing expert. He says that there are many misconceptions regarding breastfeeding.

Just like eating ice cream will make the baby's throat worse, eating sour food will make the baby sick or mother's breast milk is not good for the baby's health and it is wasted, it is all wrong. Breast milk is actually the first vaccination and it is the most useful.

Mahrukh says that women used to come to him who said that their milk was bitter. And for that they have put ants in the milk and they have died. "It's all due to ignorance.

"There is a misconception that the mother is breastfeeding and should not breastfeed if she is pregnant again," said Dr Mahrukh. It's not like the mother can still breastfeed.

How important is family and community support?

How important is family and community support?According to the Pakistan National Food Survey, only 48% of mothers in Pakistan breastfeed their babies

According to the Pakistan National Food Survey, only 48% of mothers in Pakistan breastfeed their babies. Both cities and villages have the same rates. In addition, 15% are forced, 17% are partial and 20% of mothers do not breastfeed at all.

Qarat-ul-Ain says that it is important for the mother not only to be supported by her family but also to be supported by the society.

"For example, if we go out somewhere and have to breastfeed there, it becomes difficult," she says. However, she says, "I decided that what I really needed to do was learn how to do it right by going to the shopping mall's tryroom and having a baby."

Dr. Shabina Arif says that if we want to see the mother and baby healthy, we have to give them an environment in which they have guidance as well as support so that they can breastfeed their baby.

Dr. Mahrukh blames the society more than the mother for not giving the mother the support system she needs.

Dr Mahrukh says working mothers also need guidance on how to pump their milk and keep it at home for the baby.


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.